Daði 's got a spurt on... and David's been in floods!

 

Well, it's certainly all coming together in Daði Freyr land.  Whilst the song itself really is quite mediocre there is no denying that Iceland's charismatic singer and his band of merry men (and ladies) has on of the best performances in Rotterdam.  It's simple, fun, engaging and you come out at the end of 3 minutes with a huge smile on your face!

The first half of the acts in second semi final rehearsed again this morning and early afternoon, after which the Big 5 plus our Dutch hosts took to the stage for the first time.  Let's concentrate on the semi finalists first...

For me, the other huge standout performance of those was Austria.  Vincent's selling of the song is extraordinarily good.  Power, emotion, pathos... it's all there.  Right now, I'd say he was edging out Gjon's Tears in the battle of the big (semi final) ballads.

I have to be honest and say that Senhit and her bloody Adrenalina is not beginning to grate with me.  She's making a HUGE deal about the question of whether the American rap singer will be joining her on stage, but she could bring on Danny La Rue for all I care...  Could this fall at the final hurdle, I wonder?  I'm not sure that it's the bolted-on finalist that everyone expects.

I'm also beginning to have doubts about Ms Moldova.  Great song, but it's just a bit lacklustre on stage compared to the likes of Slut-Pop Sirens, Hurricane from Serbia.  If we're only keeping one of those two I think it may now be the latter, simply due to their more powerful and frenetic delivery of their song.


Poland upped their game from Monday, and Rafał came across much better today (and he even managed to sing in tune this time!).  Still don't see it making the final, mind you.


We'll see the rest of the second semi lot tomorrow... but now it was time for the Big 5 plus Jeangu to get their first taste of the Ahoy Arena...

First up was Italy... yup... loud, noisy and manic - no change there then.

Jendrik from Germany then took to the stage with his wiggly middle finger. some jolly ladies on backing and a diamonté encrusted Ukulele.  This was utterly joyful.  It's never going to trouble the Top 10, but I think this will pick up casual votes left, right and centre and end up doing much better than folk first  thought.


Host nation were up next and I don't mind saying that I had tears in my eyes as Jengu's beautiful silky voice started to take us down a personal path in the lyrics of his song.  Vocally and performance-wise this is nothing short of stunning!  The chorus is sung in Sranantongo, a native language of his homeland, Suriname, and you could sense the pride in Jengu's voice as a delivered a perfect vocal.

On his second run-through I broke down into floods of tears... it is absolutely exceptional!!!  I really can't remember the last time a Eurovision entry affected me like that.


Then it was time for my favourite song of the entire Eurovision season... FRANCE!!!

Bloody hell, I was in floods for the second time in an hour!  Nothing to be said.  Utter perfection.  She doesn't need to rehearse.  Just turn up next Saturday night and do your thing, Honey!


Running over 30 mins behind schedule and it was finally time for the UK's own Mr James Newman to take the stage.

Do you know what?  It was actually really good.  A couple of tuning issues, but well presented and it had a great positive summer vibe about it.  Bravo that man!


I haven't seen Spain yet, so will post about that tomorrow...

Tot Zeins x

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Semi 1 - Great result!!!

I Love Belarus!