Eurovision 2021 - A love story


The Big Day has finally arrived!  Before I go on to give some predictions for what might happen this evening I want to talk about a love affair that I have had since early December.  I am, of course, talking about Barbara Pravi and her song Voilà which was eventually selected as this year's French entry at the end of January.

On my very first hearing of the song on that cold December morning I was just blown away by the raw passion, emotion and nuanced delivery by Mmlle Pravi and I remember thinking there and then that I would be amazed if I heard another song over the entire season that I liked more than this one.  Five months later and I still feel the same way.  For me, no matter the outcome tonight, this song is headed towards my all-time Eurovision favourites list.  I absolutely and unequivocally adore it.

Going into the Final Barbara remains second in the betting behind Italy, and whilst I was never a fan of the Italian rockers when they stormed to victory in San Remo, I have long since made my peace with it, and if they do indeed win then I wish them well, and look forward to two sunny weeks in Italy next May.

Similary, we may be headed to equally sunny Malta if Destiny can become the first singer to win both Junior and "Proper" Eurovision.  She has a fantastic voice and bags of personality, so that could well be enough to secure her little island its first win.

Personality and performance, plus a certain amount of sympathy, may also be enough to get Iceland's Dadi og Ganamagid over the line.  They'll be watching the show from their hotel room as we enjoy a rehearsal performance from them.  Now THAT would be a story to finish Eurovision's Corona Saga!

Whilst I said for a long time before rehearsals started that I thought The Roop from Lithuania were going to win, there does not seem to have been much buzz about them since the rehearsals began, so I'm not convinced that it is their year after all.

Ukraine have been the HUGE revelation of the rehearsals, with each performance bringing the house down.  Their techno-folk anthem is going to be equally massive tonight, and may well earn then a second victory in 5 years!  I'd certainly be very happy going back to Kyiv or to Odessa on the strength of a win by Go_A.


Watch out for a surprise from Portugal, who may storm the jury vote, if not the public one!

Switzerland is not completely out of the running yet, although I do feel his ridiculous outfit and dodgy modern interpretive dance presentation are not going to help him.  Again, two weeks in Zurich next May could be very enjoyable!

So, cards on the table... what's my prediction?

I think Eurovision audiences like a back story (Conchita, Salvador) so I'm sticking my neck out and predicting a win for Iceland.  I think France, Malta, Ukraine and then Italy will make up the rest of the top 5, in that order.  

But, even if my least favourite - Finland - wins, I'll still be a happy chappy at the end of this evening, because, after everything that we have all gone through over the past 18 months, Eurovision is BACK!  Hoorah!

Tot Zeins and... Voilà!

Photo Credits:  EBU


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Semi 1 - Great result!!!

I Love Belarus!